Sophos has published its first report focused on data security, “The State of Data Security”.
The report is excellent read with 25 pages packed full of information and advice.
The report provides advice and guidance to businesses interested in protecting their data, including “Today’s IT and business managers must take a hard look at the risks and costs of potential data loss. Creating a proactive data security plan arms you with the knowledge you need to manage the risk and helps you to stay compliant with data protection rules and regulations.”
Some statistics and quotes from the report:-
- The U.S. had the highest cost per compromised record at $204, followed by Germany at $177, France at $119, Australia at $114 and the U.K.at $98
- CSO magazine’s 2011 CyberSecurity Watch Survey found that 81% of respondents’ organizations experienced a security event during the past 12 months, compared with 60% in 2010.Twenty-eight percent of respondents saw an increase in the number of security events as compared with the prior 12 months
- In a survey of 1,000 people in the U.K., 94% ranked “protecting personal information” as their top concern, equal to their concerns about crime, according to The Telegraph.
- according to security expert Rebecca Herold, you’ll cover roughly 85 to 90% of compliance regulations if you practice effective data protection
- About 85% of all U.S. companies have experienced one or more data breaches, according to the Ponemon Institute
- In 2010, malicious attacks were the root cause of 31% of the data breaches studied, according to the Ponemon Institute – up from 24% in 2009 and 12% in 2008
- According to the Identity Theft Resource Center, at least 662 data breaches in the U.S. occurred in 2010, which exposed more than 16 million records. Nearly two-thirds of breaches exposed Social Security numbers, and 26% involved credit card or debit card data
- With over 500 million U.S. records of data breaches and loss since 2005, it’s no surprise that these data loss stories are headline news.
The report can be downloaded here.