CloudLock have produced an interesting report on how the use of the cloud and apps has extending the perimeter of most organisations.
CloudLock Executive Summary
The adoption of public cloud applications continues to accelerate for both organizations and individuals at an exponential rate, evidenced across the massive growth in the volume of accounts, files, collaboration, and connected third-party cloud applications.
The rapid surge of accounts, files, and applications presents increased risk in the form of an extended data perimeter. The adoption of cloud applications has significantly increased the threat surface for cyber attacks. Faced with this massive growth and the elevated risk, security professionals are looking to enable their organizations to embrace and leverage the benefits of cloud technologies while remaining secure and compliant.
Sensitive data is moving to the cloud, beyond the protection of your perimeter controls. As this occurs ,the amount of data, and, most importantly, the amount of sensitive or ‘toxic’ data the enterprise stores in these Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (laaS) platforms is increasing by the day – and regardless of its locations, S&R pros still need to protect it effectively.” Forrester Research (2015, March) Market Overview: Cloud Data Protection Solutions
- 100,000 files per organization that represent risk. Number of files per organization stored in public cloud applications that violate corporate data security policy, amplifying the danger of exposing sensitive information.
- 4,000 files per organization contain passwords. Number of files per organization stored in public cloud applications containing credentials to corporate systems, inviting cybercriminals to hijack corporate SaaS environments.
- 1 in 4 employees violating security policies. Number of employees that violate corporate data security policy in public cloud applications, opening organizations to risk of data breach and compliance concerns.
- 45,000 third-party apps installs conducted by privileged users. Third-party cloud applications with access to privileged users accounts significantly elevates organizational risk.
- 12% of an organizations files are sensitive/Violate a policy
- 65% of Security Teams Care about what type of sensitive data is exposes
- 35% care about how/where it is exposed
- 70% of corporate cloud based external collaboration occurs with non-corporate entities
- 77,000 Third Party cloud Apps that touch corporate systems
- 4x increase in the number of third-party applications enabled per organization, from 130 to 475. The total number of unique third-party cloud apps ballooned to 77,000, amounting to 2.5 million installs
- 2% growth in third-party SaaS application installations performed by privileged users (administrators and super admins)
Information that organizations worry about most includes:
- 59% Intellectual Property and Confidential Information
- 19% PCI DSS data
- 13% PII data e.g. social security numbers
- 5% Objectionable content for CIPA compliance- e.g. curse words, harassment
- 4% PHI/healthcare related data such as medical conditions, prescription drug terminology, patient identification numbers or Compliance
Cloudlock bases findings on anonymized usage data over 2014 and 2015
- 77,500+ Apps
- 750Million Files
- 6 Million Users
The full report can be found here.